Here are some of our local (and not so local) favorites:
- The Leading Edge, the professional spin-off "party band" of The Jackson All-Stars, is definitely worth a listen! They specialize in playing the hits of the '60s, '70s, and '80s and have a horn section headed up by local jazz trumpet great Jeff Reiter! Go to www.theleadingedgeband.us.
- Enjoyed the Blues Brothers? Then you'll love the Bluz Boys! Check out www.bluzboys.com. This is the south's premiere rhythm and blues review band.
- Check out New Orleans hottest new big band Swingaroux! Go to www.swingaroux.com.It ain't your daddy's big band! And yeah, that's me up at the top in the shades...
- Need a latin band? Here's the #1 latin band in the Jackson area - Latinismo. Go to www.latinismo.net.
- Band director by day, premiere jazz trombonist by night! A Louisiana boy, he backs up Earl Turner at Harrah's casino in New Orleans! He's performed with the Jackson All-Stars as well as Latinismo! Check out Andy Pizzo at www.andypizzo.com
- He's performed with the Jackson Allstars, Capital City Stage Band and the Bluz Boys, Jeff Callaway is one of the hottest jazz trombonists Mississippi has to offer. Check him out at www.bylandlordsrequest.com
- Want to make your community event extra special but on a budget? How about a 70-piece concert band? Check out the Mississippi Community Symphonic Band at www.mcsb.us. We play everything from the Classics to Americana to Broadway Showtunes!
- Would you love to have a BIG BAND at your community event but can't afford a full professional group? Then check out Mississippi Swing! Jackson's very own 20+ piece volunteer big band! For a small donation, we'll have you dancin' in the aisles with In the Mood, String of Pearls, American Patrol and all the other big band hits! We also can be found at www.mcsb.us. Just click on "The Swing Band."
- Want to experience a Taste of Germany? Ready to learn the Chicken Dance? (Oh, come on...you know you want to....!) Then, check out the annual Germanfest!, in Gluckstadt, MS (just north of Jackson). Sponsored by St. Joseph Catholic Church - this event is a blast! Come listen to live Oompah Band music provided by Jackson's own Mississippi Schwingen! Get it?....Yeah..you guessed it...Mississippi Swing! "re-invents" itself each year to become Jackson's very own Oompah Band! You gotta love these guys! Check it out at www.stjosephgluckstadt.com
- You have GOT to go to the Hal and Mal's St. Paddy's Day Parade held in March, each year. It's absolutely insane! Sweet Potato Queens from all over the country converge on Jackson for this big event. What's a Sweet Potato Queen? Well that's why you need to come to the parade! This event is a riot! Be on the lookout for Jackson's own Mississippi Swing Brass Band! who will be on hand for your musical entertainment during the parade. Say what? You'd think those Mississippi Swing! guys and gals would have had enough by reinventing themselves as an Oompah Band but NOOOOOOO....each year, musicians from Mississippi Swing! create Jackson's very own brass band specifically for the event - winning the Otha Turner Marching Award! And don't forget about the after party with the Bluz Boys! Go to www.halandmals.com
- Think classical music "ain't cool?" Think again! Musicians who perform with The Jackson All-Stars and Mississippi Swing! also perform with the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra. Symphony players can jam with the best of 'em! As the largest professional performing arts organization in the state, the Mississippi Symphony Orchestra performs for more than 75,000 Mississippians each year at more than 120 concerts statewide. Concerts on our home stage in Thalia Mara Hall include those of the Bravo and Pops Series, while Chamber Series concerts are performed in intimate venues throughout Jackson. Other annual events include Boomers at the Ballpark at Smith-Wills Stadium and Pepsi Pops at Old Trace Park on the Reservoir. The MSO is made up of 28 core or full-time musicians, with an additional 30 per-service musicians. My personal favorite? The Pepsi Pops rocks! Cool location...great tunes...casual atmosphere right on the reservoir...Come early and hear Mississippi Swing! warmup the crowd! Go to: www.msorchestra.com.
- Can't get enough classical music? Check out the Metropolitan Chamber Orchestra. This is our local community orchestra composed of approximately forty non-professional musicians who perform classical chamber music for the public free of charge in the Jackson metropolitan area. Under the direction of Wayne Linehan, the quality of performance is quite good! You'll probably recognize some familiar faces if you attend! Go to: www.freewebs.com/metropolitanchamberorchestra/
- Like cool jazz? Check out Dr. London Branch with The Doctrine Trio at www.doctrinetrio.wordpress.com
- The best jazz trumpet in the area, Jeff Reiter can handle just about anything. In addition to performing with The Jackson All-Stars, Latinissmo, Mississippi Swing!, Capital City Stage Band, Raphael Semmes, and the Darrell Taylor Big Band, his own professional combo performed at the old Jazz and Java several times during the year. He does freelance work as well, performing for weddings and local churches. For more information, contact Jeff Reiter directly at 601-454-5825